Test your knowledge of the Rules of golf in this quick quiz from Golftoday.co.uk. There are three sections, true or false, multiple choice and a bonus question worth 5 points. Give it a go and see how you measure up! Score 1 point for each correct answer in section 1, 2 for each correct answer in section 2 plus 5 if you answer the bonus question correctly. Answers are at the bottom of the page.
SECTION 1– True or False?
1. A player may repair a pitch mark that is on the green if their ball lies off the green.
2. A ball embedded in its own pitchmark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, within one club-length of where it lay but not nearer the hole.
3. In Matchplay a player may concede a hole at any time prior to the start or conclusion of that hole.
4. A player may stand outside the teeing ground to play a ball within it.
5. A player is entitled to see their ball when making a stroke.
6. If a ball at rest is moved by an outside agency, there is no penalty and the ball is played as it lies.
7. During a stipulated round, for any breach of a rule by his caddie, the player incurs the applicable penalty.
8. A ball incorrectly dropped but not played may be lifted, without penalty, and the player must then proceed correctly.
9. In strokeplay, if a player refuses to comply with a Rule affecting the rights of another competitor they are penalised two strokes.
10. In strokeplay, if a player plays out of turn they are penalised two strokes.
SECTION 2 – Multiple Choice
11. It is known or virtually certain that a ball that has not been found is lying in casual water. Which statement below is correct?
(a) The player may take relief without penalty and for the purposes of determining the nearest point of relief the ball is deemed to lie at the spot where the ball last crossed the outermost limits of the casual water. (b) As the ball has not been found the player must take the lost ball penalty of stroke and distance. (c) The player may take relief without penalty and the player must estimate the position of the ball. The nearest point of relief is calculated from this spot.
12. What is the maximum allowable loft of a putter?
(a) 5 degrees (b) 7.5 degrees (c) 10 degrees
13. If during a stipulated round your club is damaged in the normal course of play but is not unfit for play, which of the following is incorrect?
(a) He may use the club in its damaged state for the rest of the stipulated round. (b) He may repair it or have it repaired without unduly delaying play. (c) He may replace the damaged club with any club.
14. A player strikes the ball more than once during the course of the stroke. Which of the following is correct?
(a) The player must count the stroke and add two penalty strokes. (b) The player must count the stroke and add one penalty stroke. (c) The stroke is cancelled and the player is penalised a stroke for each time the ball is struck.
15. Which of the following statements is correct?
(a) The Committee has the power to waive a Rule of Golf in exceptional circumstances. (b) The Committee has the power to waive a Rule of Golf provided all competitors are given adequate warning. (c) The Committee has no power to waive a Rule of Golf.
SECTION 3 – Bonus Question *worth 5 Points
16. A player removes an out of bounds post on his line of play. He realises he has made a mistake and replaces it before playing his next stroke. What is the ruling?
(a) As the post was replaced before the next stroke was played there is no penalty. (b) The player was in breach of Rule 13-2 the moment he removed the post and there was nothing he could do to avoid the penalty of 2 strokes. The replacement of the post before the next stroke was irrelevant. (c) The player restored the post to its original position and therefore gained no advantage with respect to his next stroke. In equity (Rule 1- 4) the penalty of 2 strokes under Rule 13-2 is reduced to a 1 stroke penalty.
How did you score?
0-10 Rule books are available at www.randa.org
11-15 A bit of revision required!
16-20 Single figure Rules handicap!
21-24 Rules expert!
1. True – Rule 16-1c
2. False – Rule 25-2 (as near as possible to the spot where it lay)
3. True – Rule 2-4
4. True – Rule 11-1
5. False – Rule 12-1
6. False – Rule 18-1 (Ball must be replaced)
7. True – Rule 6-1
8. True – Rule 20-6
9. False – Rule 3-4 (Disqualified)
10. False – Rule 10-2c
11. A (Rule 25-1c)
13. C (Rule 4-3)
16. B (Decision 13-2/25)
Read more at http://www.golftoday.co.uk/19th/golf_rules/109_golf_rules_quiz.html#Z6KUGt65hJ7lhqbV.99
Posted in News on September 30th 2015 at 10:07